Manager of Finance & Operations
The Urban School Food Alliance (USFA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that brings together the school food departments of 15 large urban school districts across the country. (Additional districts join annually). Working in concert, these districts use their influence with industry and their combined purchasing power to improve the quality and sustainability of school food and compostable supplies, while driving costs down. The Manager of Finance & Operations (MFO) is a newly created USFA position offering an excellent opportunity to help the Urban School Food Alliance continue to expand its activities and membership. This position will report directly to the Executive Director. We are looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, process-minded and strong operational leader. The MFO will continue to build and manage effective financial and administrative systems, including financial, bookkeeping, technology management, human resources and office oversight. The MFO must be a leader who is able to deliver measurable and cost-effective results that enable USFA strategies become accomplishments within compliance of non-profit regulations. The MFO will be successful by collaborating with other staff, consultants, and members to coordinate the overall operations, internal infrastructure, and technologies to support the organization.
- Assess existing internal processes and identify areas for opportunities and
determine what is working and what can be streamlined for efficiency.
- Facilitate the creation of new processes, improve existing processes, and
oversee implementation in the best interest of the USFA.
- Maintain onboarding process, employee handbook, job descriptions, and HR procedures for both permanent employees and consultants. Ensure the updates of these items.
- Manage the planning and logistics for the face to face membership meetings, including registration, travel, meals, and other meeting details.
- Working with the Director of Partnerships & Member Engagement, Executive Director, Governance Committee and Executive Board, oversee the writing and review of Alliance policies, procedures, and MOU’s.
- Monitor actual financial performance in relation to the budget.
- Provide oversight of financial systems including review of monthly/annual financial statements provided by outside accounting firm, internal and project budgeting, projections, auditing, and reporting. Work with external accountant for the delivery of accurate monthly financial statements, tax returns and other statutory filings on a timely basis.
- Liaison to finance committee and governance committee.
- Oversee organizational insurance policies and ensure Alliance is in good standing with necessary insurance.
- Oversee Washington D. C. office, including supplies, building keys, and maintaining the lease contract.
- Maintain the relationship with Gusto employee payroll consultant company, including employee benefits and insurance.
- Establish Alliance technology platforms to enable efficient communication and workflow and secure recordkeeping, leading IT plan for future (hardware and software) and maintaining records of USFA owned equipment and software subscriptions.
- Cooperate with website vendor to ensure website is up to date and serving the membership of the Alliance.
- Oversee consultant contracts in coordination with the Director of Partnerships & Member Engagement and Executive Director, ensuring annual updates and signatures.
- These responsibilities are not exhaustive, and additional job-related requirements may be added by the corporation, as need arises.
- Minimum of 4 year Bachelor’s Degree with experience in association leadership
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, non-profit preferred.
- Proven ability to plan, organize, and manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment. Self – motivated.
- High performer, autonomous, and result oriented.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Technology savvy, IT skills to include, Microsoft Office and meeting and sharing platforms such as Google Docs and Drive, Zoom, and Go to Meetings.
- Ability to travel frequently and work in a complex and changing dynamic.
- Able to give and receive information through speaking and listening, using English as the primary language.
This is a full- time position with negotiated salary starting at $80,000, based on experience. Some benefits also available.
This position will be located in our office space located in Washington D.C. near metro stations.
Application Requirements and Deadline
- Cover Letter to include available start date
- List of 4 references, with contact information
- Two letters of recommendations
All should be addressed to Executive Assistant Ms. Donna Browne and Executive Director Dr. Katie Wilson and submitted in a single pdf file to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: February 26, 2021